- To explain the meaning of the
term, crusade, in its religious and historical context.
- To identify the immediate and
long-range causes of the Crusades.
- To describe the reasons why each of
the following groups supported the Crusades: the Pope, medieval
- To analyze the various Crusades and
to identify those that were most successful for the Crusaders and
those that were successful for the Muslim defenders.
- To explain why interest in crusading
decreased after 1200.
- To identify and discuss the important
consequences of the Eastern Crusades for the Europeans, the Pope, the
Byzantine Empire, and the Middle East.
- To explain the term Reconquista.
- To discuss reasons why the position
of Spanish Muslims and Jews changed in the late 15c.