- To describe the practices which weakened the power
of the Merovingian kings.
- To discuss the role of the Mayor of the Palace.
- To demonstrate how the Frankish king and the Pope
depended on each other.
- To explain the importance of the
Battle of Tours for Western Europe.
- To describe how the Frankish kings
gained some spiritual power and how the Pope became a political ruler.
- To explain how Charlemagne expanded
the Frankish empire and revived learning in early medieval Western
- To list and analyze the consequences
of the Pope crowning Charlemagne Augustus in 800.
- To explain how central authority
broke down in the years following Charlemagne's death.