- To explain how it was possible for kings to increase their power in medieval
Europe after the year 1000.
- To show how William the Conqueror laid the basis for strong central government
- To discuss the reasons why Henry II's royal courts strengthened the king's power
over his lords.
- To list the facts which favored the rise of the Capetian dynasty in medieval
- To describe how Otto the Great made the crown stronger than the German nobles
and identify his successes and failures in this effort.
- To identify and analyze Frederick Barbarossa's methods in trying to limit the
power of the German princes.
- To analyze the reasons why the medieval German kings failed to unite their country.