- To identify and describe the
climate and geography of the FIVE major regions of Africa.
- To explain how geographic features
affected Africa's contact with other regions.
- To identify the climatic zones of
Africa in which the change from hunting and gathering to farming was
most OR least successful and why.
- To make a list of at least SIX
statements of fact that you have arrived at after analyzing the
assorted maps of Africa in your atlas.
- To analyze how the relationship
between Kush and ancient Egypt changed over the years.
- To describe how Axum became a
powerful early African city.
- To discuss ways in which Ethiopia was
different from other early East African kingdoms.
- To describe the patterns of Swahili
- To analyze the importance of East
Africa's Indian Ocean trade network.
- To identify FIVE characteristics of
traditional African tribal life.
- To discuss the role of the individual
in a traditional tribal society.
- To list the advantages/disadvantages
of an extended family.
- To describe life in a traditional
African tribal village.
- To identify some of the problems
which tribalism causes in a modern nation.
- To describe FOUR basic beliefs of the
traditional African religion, animism.
- To discuss the role that ancestors
play in the life of the living tribe.
- To explain how customs, religion, and
the daily necessities of life determined the characteristics of
- To discuss the major functions of
African art, sculpture, and masks in African society.
- To explain this statement: In
many ways, African art is closer to modern art than it is to
traditional Western art.