- To explain the role of geographic location in Rome's early growth and success.
- To analyze the contributions made by the Latins, Greeks, and Etruscans to the
development of ancient Roman culture.
- To list the major values in ancient Roman society.
- To analyze the Roman values illustrated in the myth about Romulus and Remus.
- To discuss the importance of the Roman family, especially the role of the paterfamilias.
- To compare and contrast the rights of Roman women with those of Athenian women.
- To distinguish between the different classes in Roman society.
- To identify the role played by the army in Roman society during the days of
the early Republic.