- To discuss reasons why the polis
was so important to the Greeks.
- To understand how the Iron Age helped ordinary citizens to gain power in Greece.
- To explain how the rule of the tyrants was different from that of the aristocracy.
- To be able to explain how the origins of Sparta differed from that of Athens.
- To list reasons why a revolt was a constant threat in Sparta and only somewhat
threat in early early Athens.
- To describe the ways in which both Sparta and Athens responded to this threat.
- To be able to trace the evolution of Athenian democracy from Solon to Pericles.
- To analyze the strengths and limitations of Athenian "direct" democracy.
- To explain the differences between Athenian democracy and American democracy
- To analyze the role of women in ancient Greek society and the reasons for their
- To list the causes of the Persian War.
- To explain the consequences of the Persian War for Greece, especially for the