- To identify the three major
chronological stages of the decline of the Roman Empire.
- To list the major social, political,
economic, religious, and military [S. P. E. R.
M.] reasons for the collapse of the Western Roman Empire by the end of
the 5c CE.
- To analyze the causes of inflation in
the Empire and its effect on Roman society and trade.
- To explain how Rome's army had
changed since the days of the Republic.
- To identify the reforms initiated by
the Emperor Diocletian and show how they were carried out.
- To analyze the important political
and religious changes brought about by Constantine the Great.
- To list the major advantages that
Byzantium/Constantinople had over Rome by the
- To explain how the Germanic tribes
were successful in invading the Roman Empire by the early 5c CE, but
were less successful in previous centuries.