- To explain why Philip, ruler of a relatively less developed Macedon, was
able to conquer the classical cities of Greece.
- To list some of the characteristics of Hellenistic culture.
- To describe ways in which Alexander laid the foundations of Hellenistic civilization.
- To show how Alexander, in establishing his empire, broke with Greek traditions
- To compare and contrast the basic characteristics of Hellenic and Hellenistic
- To list some of the scientific achievements and new schools of philosophy that
were dominant during the Hellenistic Age.
- To analyze reasons why the Hellenistic scientists did not start an industrial
- To explain what happened to Alexander's empire after his death.
- To support or refute the following statement: Alexander the Great's achievements, though brilliant, did not last long.