- To identify the events which led
Martin Luther to take a stand against the Catholic Church.
- To list Luther's major ideas and
- To discuss the significance of the
Edict of Worms and the reasons for its lack of success.
- To explain the reasons for the
peasant revolt in the mid-1520s and Luther's response to it.
- To support the following statement
with specific facts: German nationalism and the ambitions of
the German princes affected the spread of Luther's ideas.
- To analyze the connection between
Henry VIII's marital troubles and the creation of the Church of
England [Anglican Church].
- To identify the changes which Henry
VIII made in the English Church and the additional changes made by his
- To list the major beliefs of John
- To explain how Calvin's theology was
different from that of Luther.
- To describe the roles played by Mary
Stuart and John Knox in establishing Calvinism in Scotland.
- To explain the dilemma that many
people faced in the 1500s as reflected in Thomas More's dying
words: I die the king's good servant, but God's first.