- To understand the influence of the Vedas on Indian society.
- To discuss the changing characteristics of religion during the Vedic Age.
- To identify the major beliefs of Hinduism.
- To analyze ways in which the sentiments and ideas expressed in the Vedas are similar to Judaism and Christianity and
how they are different.
- To explain how the popular belief in reincarnation was reinterpreted by the
philosophers of the Upanishads.
- To identify the four major castes in traditional Indian society.
- To explain the reasons for the creation of the caste system in India.
- To analyze the affects of the caste system on the position of women in Indian
- To be able to argue the pros and cons of the caste system.