- To assume the persona of a Confucianist,
or a Taoist, or a Legalist and be able to
discuss their basic religious/philosophical
beliefs and explain how your view is different
from the other two.
- To explain how the five-class hierarchy in
ancient Chinese society promoted harmony
- To understand how the Chinese concept of
"Heaven" differs from the Judeo-Christian
views of God.
- To analyze reasons why the period of classical
Chinese thought coincided with the turbulent
era known as the "Time of the Warring
- To list some of the important Taoist inventions
and describe how they were used.
- To describe the steps necessary to become
a scholar-official and to analyze their importance
to the Chinese imperial governments.
- To explain why Confucian scholars looked
down upon Taoism.
- To explain how the teachings of Confucius,
Lao-Tzu, and Mencius affected the power of