- To identify the political,
economic, and social conditions that were present in northern Italy
which encouraged the beginning of the Renaissance.
- To list the major characteristics of
- To analyze the role of the city-state
of Florence and the Medici family in the development of the
- To discuss the meaning of the term humanitas
(humanism) and to know the core curriculum of a humanist education.
- To explain how Giotto revolutionized
- To discuss how Dante changed the
writing of poetry.
- To identify the new art forms which
showed the Renaissance interest in the individual.
- To explain the Renaissance ideal for
a young man (a courtier) and for a young woman.
- To discuss Machiavelli's view of
human nature and the advice he gave to a ruler about power.
- To identify the political events
which threatened the Italian city-states in the 16c.
- To explain why the Popes became
patrons of Renaissance artists.
- To list the key artist of the Quintecento
as well as their major artistic works.