- Create a CHART and analyze each of the four major Supreme Court
cases listed above in the "Terms" section. Identify
the circumstances of each case, the Supreme Court ruling, and the
legal/political implications of the ruling.
- How did the Marshall Court support and increase the power of the
federal government and reflect judicial nationalism?
- Describe the foreign ministry of John Quincy Adams and identify
the three treaties negotiated by Adams that promoted diplomatic
- Why did Spain, Portugal, and Russia pose a major concern for
American policy-makers in the early 1820s?
- Why did President Monroe issue the Monroe Doctrine in 1823?
What was its historical significance?
- Explain the impact of the Panic of 1819 on economic,
political, and regional unity in the United States.
- How did expansion westward cause a political crisis over the issue
of slavery after the War of 1812?
- What were the provisions of the Missouri Compromise?
- How did the enactment of the Missouri Compromise set the stage for
the 19c debate of slavery?