- As you read this section of Chapter 23, create a CHART with three
columns labeled: "New Deal Programs,"
"Purpose," and "Results" [this will eventually
be collected for a grade of 40 points]. Bullet
information that lists the accomplishments of the First New Deal
programs. Be sure to include ALL of the government programs in
the TERMS list below!
- Why was FDR elected in 1932? What personal characteristics
of his seemed to appeal to the general public?
- What were the three major goals of the New Deal?
- Why did FDR engage in a series of "Fireside chats" with
the American people?
- How did Congress and the president attempt to save the banking
system in 1933?
- In general, how did liberal and conservative critics differ in
their opposition to the New Deal?
- Why did people regard FDR's court-packing scheme as a threat to
the constitutional principle of separation of powers?
- What did Father Coughlin, Dr. Townsend, and Senator Huey Long
dislike about the New Deal?
- How did FDR change the role of the federal government during his
first term as president?